A new Android model is exciting, thrilling, and — permit’s be honest — every so often a little perplexing. Especially nowadays, it is all too not unusual to see a shiny new replace display up on your telephone, eagerly appearance to peer what clean treats are in save, and then discover yourself scratching your head as you struggle to see what’s special and how you need to be taking benefit of anything changed into added on your device.
There’s no denying it: Android’s evolution has grown substantially greater subtle over the years. Whereas early Android updates represented massive leaps ahead and near-consistent reinventions of the operating gadget, more contemporary Android rollouts generally tend to revolve in most cases around refinement and small however significant touches. It’s a sensible shift at this factor within the platform’s improvement, but it often makes it difficult to realize if you’re tapping into everything Google’s present day software offers.
And Android eleven is sincerely no exception. The state-of-the-art Android release is chock-full of important additions, however lots of them are below the hood and now not immediately apparent. And even those which are at the surface require a teensy little bit of tweaking to be added to their complete capability.
Whether you simply got Android 11 lately or have had it since its formal release closing September, the recommendations in this page will help you unlock all of the software program’s practical price. The magic’s already all there and waiting; it’s just as much as you to are searching for it out and embody it.
If you’re among the many non-Google-telephone owners still expecting the software program to attain you, cling onto this manual for the future — and test out my separate tale on bringing Android-11-like features onto any smartphone today for some clever approaches to give your self similar elements within the intervening time.
(Note that the functions and steps described under are all applicable to Google’s unique Android eleven software program, which is gift on Pixel telephones, Android One gadgets, and certain other merchandise. Some Android smartphone-makers alter the running gadget and even on occasion pass over features for no obvious purpose — so in case you’re the usage of a device that does not stick with Google’s default Android association, some of the factors cited right here may be distinctive or in some cases completely absent on your telephone.)Privacy protection
1. The most consequential addition in Android eleven, particularly from a business attitude, is the multiplied set of equipment the software program gives you for privacy protection — so don’t permit that go to waste!
The first and maximum important thing you will need to take advantage of is the software program’s more nuanced controls for camera, vicinity, and microphone permissions. As of Android eleven, you may provide apps access to those regions on a constrained, single-consultation foundation — meaning the permissions will expire and must be asked anew as soon as you exit the app and pass directly to something else.
But, severely, any apps that had been in your telephone earlier than the Android 11 improve will have already got permanent permissions granted — so it’s as much as you to head again and reassess ’em as wished.
To achieve this, open up the Privacy segment of your system settings and faucet “Permission supervisor.” One by using one, leaf through the types for “Camera,” “Location,” and “Microphone.” If you see any approved permissions which you’d rather have treated on a case-by way of-case foundation, tap the related app’s line after which alternate its placing to “Ask each time.” JR Raphael/IDG
Android eleven’s new quick-time period permissions can higher guard your statistics, but it is frequently up to you to find and take advantage of them.
With any apps you put in from this point forward, the spark off to make that selection will come up robotically the first time the app requests one of the relevant permissions — so it is simplest with existing apps that you need to perform this one-time assessment.
2. The other Android 11 privacy characteristic that requires your movement is the software’s ability to automatically revoke touchy permissions from apps that you have not opened or in any other case used in a matter of months. Oddly, that functionality isn’t always on via default — so head into the Apps (or Apps & Notifications) segment of your device settings, faucet the road to peer all of your apps, if wanted, after which faucet the name of any app in which you would like that conduct to occur.
Next, you will want to tap “Permissions” and search for a line classified “Remove permissions if app isn’t used.” Activate the toggle subsequent to it, after which rest easy understanding that the doorways in your touchy info will automatically close if the app in query ever receives forgotten.Next-level notifications
3. Notifications get a pleasing improve with a brand new devoted “Conversations” segment in Android eleven, and you can take manipulate of ways exactly it really works. Anytime you obtain a message within an app that helps the characteristic, just press and maintain the notification to show a brand new choice that’ll set it as a concern verbal exchange — which causes its notification to appear on the pinnacle of the “Conversations” section, with the sender’s profile photograph as its personal standalone icon to your fame bar area, and optionally despite an expandable bubble you could use to preserve the communication comfortably available irrespective of what else you’re doing. JR Raphael/IDG
You can pop important messages out into expandable bubbles for clean ongoing get right of entry to, way to Android 11’s new “Conversations” controls.
four. You can really flip any well matched messaging thread right into a bubble, too, regardless of whether or not it is set as a priority-degree communication. Just look within the Apps (or Apps & Notifications) segment of your gadget settings and locate the new “Conversations” choice, then tap the road similar to the conversation you need to deliver into the bubble interface.
That’ll pull up a settings screen on which you could prefer to have the verbal exchange continually seem within that continual bubble, regardless of its reputation.
five. That identical conversation-specific settings display holds another choice really worth remembering: the option to pull a specific messaging thread out of the “Conversations” section altogether so that it appears as a everyday, less emphasized notification.
6. Ever locate yourself wishing you could convey back a notification you inadvertently swiped away? Android 11 has the solution with its new Notification History feature. Make positive to allow it through going into the Apps (or Apps & Notifications) phase of your system settings, then tapping “Notifications” followed through “Notification records.” Flip the toggle at the pinnacle of the screen into the on function, and on every occasion you have got as a minimum one notification gift, you may see a brand new “History” option that’ll take you to a listing of all dismissed alerts from the past 24 hours. JR Raphael/IDG
Android 11’s new Notification History section is a convenient way to look again at indicators you’ve got currently brushed off.Shortcuts and time-savers
7. Android 11’s maximum practical new feature, if you ask me, is the linked-tool command center it brings into the gadget energy menu — the display screen that comes up while you press and preserve your phone’s bodily energy button. Some device-makers, unfortunately, determined to tug this selection out of the working system before sending it to their clients (hi, Samsung!), however it’s definitely a shining highlight of the contemporary Android software program.
So long as you are using a cellphone in which that detail hasn’t been eliminated, press and hold that newly empowered energy button for a second or so, and you may see your new great pal pop right up in the front of you — whole with controls for any clever lighting, cameras, thermostats, or other such products which can be installation in your surroundings and linked for your Google account. JR Raphael/IDG
The new Android 11 power menu makes it clean to alter connected devices (and greater!) from everywhere in your telephone.
8. You’d by no means are aware of it from looking, but the tiles within that new energy button menu can do extra than just act as mere on-off toggles. For any tiles where extra alternatives are to be had, you could additionally long-press to pull up superior possibilities in a easy overlay display.
nine. As helpful as it can be, that connected-device command center also can get a touch cluttered. If, like me, you discover the on-with the aid of-default presence of large photographs displaying your Google-Pay-linked credit cards in that location to be of little realistic price, head into the System vicinity of your system settings, faucet “Gestures,” after which faucet “Power menu” accompanied via “Cards & passes.” (If your smartphone’s menu structure doesn’t suit that, attempt searching your system settings for energy menu to get to a comparable region.)
Turn the toggle on the screen that comes up into the off position, and that Pay-associated element of the power menu may be long gone for excellent.